A word to the wise

FAIR USE NOTICE: Copyright protects the particular way authors have expressed themselves. It does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in a work. ~ U.S. Copyright Office

This blog may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of issues of humanitarian significance. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to anyone who has an interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

CONTENT DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the media, articles or comments on this blog are those of the speakers or authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by the administrator. As the limited administrator of this blog, I oversee it based on personal unwritten policy but I should not be held accountable for all of the information you may find here. Furthermore, I cannot warrant the precision, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of all of the information contained herein.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My next computer build: Part 2 (The PSU)

The case is a done deal and on the way. If I've made an error in judgment, I suppose I could still send it back and order something else, but I think it's a good pick and the window of opportunity isn't closing any time soon. Let's move on the the PSU, for now.

I've looked at dozens and dollar for dollar I think the Corsair CX750 would probably be my choice if it weren't for those piddling objectives of mine. Remember those from Part 1? Efficiency. First, will I ever really need 750 watts of power?  I spent a great deal of time researching and considering this.

I had in depth discussions with seemingly knowledgeable gaming enthusiasts who, after dazzling me with loads of technical gobbledygook, assured me that anyone actually pulling more than 400 watts of power from the wall was probably delving into the upper reaches of gaming with overclocked dual GPU systems and such. Those guys sure sounded like they knew what they were talking about, but I still wasn't completely convinced.

I don't want to have any regrets later on, but when I look at the results of various load tests, sure enough, the gaming systems using a single GPU are sucking down fewer than 400 watts on average. Usually around 350w and in my wildest dreams, I can't imagine ever using multiple GPU's or enough peripherals powered by the PSU to need any more than that. Still, just in case, I started looking at 500 and 600 watt PSU's. The SeaSonic brand kept being brought up over and over as one of the most dependable units available. Their reputation, by all accounts, is nothing short of phenomenal.

When I started looking at their products, I came across the X series SS 400fl. It had some great reviews by end users, but what really peaked my interest was the Torture Test results from HARDOCP. Without a fan, after 8 hours with an 80% load, this thing is still puting out exhaust temperatures just 8 degrees C above ambient (45C) and still maintaining a better than 91% efficency. I don't really buy into the whole 80plus rating system (I think it is gamed), but that's pretty damned good as compared to everything else I've been looking at. And I have a little more faith in HARDOCP's Methodology than I do some of the other reviews I've seen.

Still, 400 watts seems a little low. As a matter of principle, I want a unit that I can run at 350-400 watts 24/7 without worrying too much about it. So, I wanted to look at the SS 400fl's big brother - the SS 520fl. An 80% load on that would be 416 watts and I don't think I would be hitting that too often. I'm not really an extreme PC gaming enthusiast. I have an xbox and a PS3 for that when I get the itch, but I still want the PC option.

HARDOCP hasn't published a review of the 520 (as of this writing), but luckily another bunch of folks who seemed to be very rigorous with their testing methodology (Techpowerup) has. While the temperature deltas weren't quite as good for the 520 as they were for the 400, they were still damned good and they certainly exceed anything I would ever ask of it. Overall, judging from Techpowerup's review, this unit's performance surpasses every requirement of my objectives for this build. But it gets even better.

Hardware Secrets had to say of the SS-520FL:

"It achieved the feat of being the best power supply we've ever tested" and even went so far as to call it "a flawless product."

I'll take it. It's efficient, totally silent, durable, fully modular, reasonably priced for a fanless and most importantly the 520FL can't do anything other than make this build more buttery.

Yeah, I could buy something perfectly adequate for less money, but I simply can't ignore the buttery factor. It's through the roof. If I don't get the SS 520FL, I think I will develop buyer's remorse and always regret it.

Case? Check!
PSU? Check!

We're already up to $240 and haven't even started looking at the expensive stuff yet. But, Honey, this is an investment! hehe

Up next, I'll decide on both the CPU and the motherboard since they sort of go hand in hand and each one can effect the performance and functionality of the other. There are so many things to take in to account and consider, it may take several posts to get through the decision making process.

No comments: