A word to the wise

FAIR USE NOTICE: Copyright protects the particular way authors have expressed themselves. It does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in a work. ~ U.S. Copyright Office

This blog may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of issues of humanitarian significance. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to anyone who has an interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

CONTENT DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the media, articles or comments on this blog are those of the speakers or authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by the administrator. As the limited administrator of this blog, I oversee it based on personal unwritten policy but I should not be held accountable for all of the information you may find here. Furthermore, I cannot warrant the precision, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of all of the information contained herein.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Computer Build II: First thoughts

I almost forgot I had this blog. I was considering where to jot down a few notes on my next computer build and had one of those "...Oh...yeah..." moments.

It looks like my plan to put off building a new computer until March of 2017 is going to work out perfectly...well almost. My budget would have been accumulating on schedule, had I not dipped into it to purchase a couple irresistible deals, but I should be able to make it up in time (I'm usually a little OCD about compartmentalizing my funds. Maybe I'm cured). If not, I'll just have to wait until May or so. No biggie.

I might want to wait a little while longer anyway to see how the new tech is vetting and being priced before committing to a schedule. I do want to have it finished before the 2017 holiday season, however.

Originally, I thought I might be looking at a Skylake or even a Cannon Lake chip, but now it's looking like Kaby Lake is going to be taking that spot. That's okay. It always seems like a new die shrink has a few bugs to work out in the manufacturing and quality control areas and Kaby Lake is going to be a refresh of sorts in the 14 nm arena. I don't know. I guess that might help the churn go a little smoother. We'll see.

While Kaby Lake is compatible with the current generation of motherboards with the LGA 1151 socket, Intel is supposed to be releasing a new chip-set (200 series) at the same time as the new CPU and those motherboards aren't out yet AFAIK. I can't really plan too much further ahead without first deciding which motherboard I want to stick it in. We'll just have to wait. It looks like there is going to be a confluence of new tech all hitting at the same time. This might be fun...and research intensive.

No comments: