A word to the wise

FAIR USE NOTICE: Copyright protects the particular way authors have expressed themselves. It does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in a work. ~ U.S. Copyright Office

This blog may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in an effort to advance understanding of issues of humanitarian significance. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to anyone who has an interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

CONTENT DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the media, articles or comments on this blog are those of the speakers or authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by the administrator. As the limited administrator of this blog, I oversee it based on personal unwritten policy but I should not be held accountable for all of the information you may find here. Furthermore, I cannot warrant the precision, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of all of the information contained herein.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

I'm Too Lazy

I'm a lazy writer. Most people are. The written word is both the blessing and bane of the internet. It's a blessing when good and thoughtful writers use the medium to freely convey vast amounts of useful information, experience and opinion to the masses. It a bane when I and people like me think we can write a clumsy sentence or two and expect people to be able to extrapolate the true intent and the sometimes complex and subtle character of what we were only half heartedly trying to really say.

For instance, someone recently wrote me and gave a very brief synopsis of one small aspect of their beliefs and I responded with something like, "We need to have a long talk about that." when what I really meant to say was that I wanted to spend more time discussing it so I could gain more than just a superficial understanding of and a deeper insight into their perspectives. In retrospect I can see how what I actually wrote would probably be interpreted as meaning something like, "I would like the opportunity to correct your thinking.", but that was the furthest thing from my mind. Well, I'll probably get the chance to clear this up before too long, but that's not always the case.

This is how misunderstandings get started and develop into animus and sometimes into outright hostilities on the internet. I really need to take just a little more time to write out what I really mean. It doesn't take that much more effort and would probably be immensely more economical and efficient in the grand scheme of things. The apparent easy way is seldom what it seems, I suppose.

No comments: